Protect yourself from the flu this winter
Last year was one of the worst flu seasons in recent times. The seasonal flu vaccine remains your best protection against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season.
The best way to protect yourself and your family is to be vaccinated. Being vaccinated gives individual protection against influenza by building immunity to the virus and preventing transmission of the virus in the community. Vaccination is required annually, as the vaccine changes each year to cover the expected disease strains.
This year the government will fund vaccines for the following people:
- All children between 6 months and 5 years
- All adults aged 65 years and over
- All persons aged over 6 months who have certain medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications
- Pregnant women (during any stage of pregnancy)
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons aged 15 years or older.
Our practice nurse will be running flu vaccine clinics for these groups. There will be no out of pocket expense to the patient.
All other patients wanting a flu vaccine for 2018 are encouraged to make an appointment with their doctor.
To make a booking for your flu vaccine call 9481 1214.